Thursday, May 28, 2015

virgin mango bellinis + basil


For the entire week I have procrastinated writing this post because I wondered whether it was really necessary to write down a recipe that has only 3 ingredients, and even less steps (and I was being lazy). Making these bellinis was so easy that I'm pondering whether I should change this blog to an only bellinis blog. I mean, the alliteration is right there. 



Truthfully, if there weren't any laws mandating that children under 21 can't drink, these bellinis would be totally non-virgin. But, laws and regulations and stuff. What can you do.




For those of you who don't know, a bellini is a cocktail that is two-thirds prosecco/champagne/moscato d'asti (your choice) + one-third fruit puree. You can make a bellini out of most fruits, but it's most common to use peaches. 




Being the season for mangoes, and the official fruit of India (not sure why that's applicable but I needed a second reason) I thought mangoes would be the perfect fruit, texturally and flavor-wise to use in this drink. The basil perfectly compliments the sweet tropical flavor of the mangoes and gives this drink a complexity that'll make you going back for seconds


Recipe

1 cup of pureed manila mangoes, strained
1 1/2 cups of Mandarin Orange San Pellegrino (basically any clear carbonated drink)
4-6 basil leaves, depending on how strong you want the drink to be
a couple basil leaves for garnish



Preparation:
1. Cut, blend, and strain the mangoes into a bowl to chill in the refrigerator. 



2. Add a lot of ice to a pitcher, preferably one that isn't plastic and ugly like mine, and pour in the cans of San Pellegrino, the mango puree, and a few basil leaves. With a wooden spoon, stir and smash the basil leaves against the ice and the bottom of the pitcher. Strain into chilled glasses and garnish with basil or basil flowers. 



I know those directions were fairly compact, but earlier in the post I made the claim that the directions list would be shorter than the ingredients list and I had to keep my word. Food bloggers promise *he kisses his fingers and points them to the sky as if he was in a cult. You understand right. 



I hope you guys liked this quick and easy summer drink. The photography has slightly improved from the last post, but I still have a few more weeks left in my photography class and there is much still to learn. From the pictures I've posted on Instagram I'd say my photography acumen is improving. What do you guys think? Visit "@chowcreations" on Instagram and comment below what you think. I love you all and I'll see you next week. And as always, 

Chow!

You Might Like:







No comments:

Post a Comment