Wednesday, June 10, 2015

mango blueberry sherbert


People all over the world - except Australians and their backwards idiosyncrasies - are on the brink of summer; however they're ill prepared and I'm here to help. My suggestion? Go to Costco, buy a 24 family pack of sunblock, grab 6 industrial sized towels, and some summer fruits - provided that you left Costco otherwise you're gonna have to buy a lot of fruits (which is probably a problem only particular to the first world). After you finally leave Sampleworld with all of your beach day things run home and make this sherbert! It's so good, and surprisingly easy. 




When I was making this recipe I overestimated the capacity of my ice cream maker and when I measured the first batch I realized only an eighth of the mixture could fit in at one time. I practically have a toy ice cream maker. I concluded that the only sane thing to do was to make the sherbert by hand. So, every 30 minutes I took the sherberts out of the freezer and stirred them. That's probably why the blueberry one turned out kind of icy. Nevertheless I loved it even more because I literally made it myself. So the moral of the story is don't get your cooking equipment from Dave & Busters. 




Did you know that some people don't know the difference between a sorbet and a sherbert. Fret not for I was once one of those ignorant buffoons. The difference is a sherbert is just a sorbet with cream. That answer almost inevitably leads to What is a sorbet? for which I reply, You've never heard of Google? I'm just joking I've never said that (I've thought it). If you haven't googled it yet, a sorbet is just a frozen fruit dessert made with simple syrup. It's so easy to make that I've practically given away the entire recipe by just giving the definition. 



Recipe

1 lbs of blueberries
1 lbs of manila mangoes, red mangoes are fine too
1 cup of sugar, divided in two 
1 cup of water, divided in two
1-4 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice (optional)
1 cup of coconut milk/heavy cream/creme fraiche, divided in two




Preparation:
1. Freeze your ice cream base for at least 24 hours before you attempt this. The worst thing in the world is the disappointment you feel when your sherbert doesn't set up. The feeling is like someone impaling your stomach with an empty waffle cone. 



2. Wash and dry the blueberries and de-core the mangoes. To prepare a mango you just cut both pieces of flesh from either side of the mango. Take a spoon to scoop out the flesh. 



3. In a small saucepan, bring the sugar and water to a boil. Try not to stir or else sugar crystals or something will happen in your mixture and then something bad will happen. I'm not actually sure why you can't stir the syrup, just don't. I just measure the sugar, pour the water in and put it on the stove. When the mixture boils the sugar will dissolve. Reserve on the counter for later use. 




3. In a food processor or blender, puree the mangoes first with half of the simple syrup (1/2 cups). When it's completely smooth, pass the mixture through a fine sieve to get rid of any fibers. Sieving the sherbert will make sure your final product is smooth. Add 1/2 cup of coconut milk or yogurt or heavy cream or creme fraiche even pastry cream, really anything that is creamy, except milk; milk will add too much water and will make your sherbert icy. Stir and refrigerate until later. Repeat these steps with the blueberries. I do the mangoes first and then the blueberries so I don't adulterate the vibrant mango color. 



4. Pour the chilled sherbert base into the ice cream maker to churn for about 15 minutes. The consistency you're looking for is a thick smoothie. Transfer the churned sherbert into a bowl or tupperware to chill while you do the other one. 




5. Here is how you create that iconic rainbow sherbert swirl effect. First line a terrine/loaf pan with plastic wrap. With a sherbert scoop, also known as an ice cream scoop depending on the recipe, randomly drop mounds of mango and blueberry sherbert into the bottom of the terrine. Evenly pat down the layer with the back of a spoon. Now cover the mango parts with scoops of blueberry sherbert and vice versa. Pat it down and repeat until the entire terrine is filled. Bring the sides of the plastic to the top and make some final molding adjustments. Freeze until you can't wait any longer. Serve with fresh berries and a friend. Just to clarify, don't eat the friend, just eat with him/her. I've known people who have become so attached to their sherberts that they get confused which is their friend and who, I mean what, to eat. (was that weird? i think i should delete that last part)



This recipe can be made with any fruit you want, and you can even amplify the flavors with complimenting spices and herbs. Cinnamon or basil goes great with mango, and I know from personal experience that mixed berries with mint and creme fraiche is paradise in a bowl. Have fun with it show me on instagram and twitter what you come up with. My links are at the top of this page. Comment below if you liked this and tell me what creations you want me to try next. And as always, 

Chow!




You Might Like:








No comments:

Post a Comment