Saturday, March 15, 2014

momma's sour cream cookies - well how i imagined them to be


Despite the title my Mom never made these, but that doesn't mean I can't make them for myself. 



After those Monday Night Football Parties, don't you always have leftover sour cream. Whether it's from that delicious five-layer dip, or those disgusting vegetable platters, I know there will always have extra. And up until now I didn't know what to do with it. Then I thought about cookies, you can make cookies with anything. These cookies are refreshing, simple but delicious and only take a few minutes to prepare, and eat the whole batch. Okay, well I'm not sure about the eating the whole batch part but make them I did, and they did not disappoint. 






Imagine your Mom hugging you while you're eating the best cookie ever, this cookie is twice as good as that. The sour cream really makes the difference in this recipe. These cookies are light and soft, and ever so gently kissed by that touch of sweetness. You can be sure these cookie come with hugs and kisses built in. I know Mother's Day is 4 months away, but don't wait that long to show your mom...how much better of a cookie you can make. This classic cookbook cookie, which deserves so much more praise and recognition than it gets, is easy and delicious, so without further-a-do, let's get started!



In a clean bowl, whisk together all your dry ingredients. That is, your flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Set this bowl aside. 




Using the same, singular spot in your house that is bright and photo worthy, cream together your room temperature butter and sugar. Start slow and then crank it up. You are looking for the butter to become pale and fluffy, and all the sugar granules to disappear. Add your egg, vanilla extract, and sour cream, and beat for one more minute. Next, slowly incorporate the flour mixture into the butter until all of the flour is used up, and a batter forms. At this stage you could refrigerate or freeze this depending on when you wanted to make the cookies. 



In my case I was hungry now. I didn't waste a second to toss these into the oven. Using any method of greasing, lightly oil your cookie sheet, or use a non-stick silpat. You can get about fifteen good teaspoon dollops on a 9x13 in. baking sheet. 



Wet the tip of one of your fingers and flatten each of the cookies to make sure they are all the same height and they spread thinly. Lastly sprinkle a little sugar, sanding sugar would be best but granulated works fine, on the tops of each cookie. This will give them that professional look that tells people, yes, I know what I'm doing. Even though you're feeding them cookies that you learned how to make from a random stranger you met on the internet.


One's missing...
After 10 minutes under the delicious rays of a 375 oven, your cookies are done. Let them cool on a rack before dusting with powdered sugar, or drizzling with a delicious fig glaze. 



WHAT! A Fig Glaze! It's so simple I don't even have a recipe for it. Take fig jam, powdered sugar and a tablespoon of milk and combine it in a small bowl, you will be shocked by the results. I especially think it works wonders with this Sour Cream Cookie, a barely sweet cookie is accented with the figgy-caramelliness of the fig jam, a match surely made in heaven.     



That's it for this recipe, scroll down for more chow-fections, and I will see you next week with another delicious, tested dessert by the finest here at the Chow Creations Studios. Well someone had to say it. 



Special Thanks to my cousin Wyfield for sending me that jar of Fig Jam. Wyfield if you are reading this, it was so good I peed my pants, and I only pee my pants when I get excited. And as always, 

Chow!



Recipe
1/3 cup unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1/3 cup sour cream
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract 


Optional ingredients: Fig Jam, powdered sugar, milk

You Might Like:






No comments:

Post a Comment